Answered By: Jean Reese Last Updated: Jan 30, 2018 Views: 5
Note that there is a difference between Fashion Designers and Fashion Illustrators so be aware of the search terms you use for the results you need.
- Fashion Designer: makes detailed drawings for communicating the idea or concept or pattern for the purpose of production.
- Fashion Illustrator: makes drawings after the concept of the design is produced. The purpose is for marketing / promoting of the product.
Some designers were also illustrators.
Suggestions to get started:
- If you'd like to browse books on the topic. try the call number range of 741.672 on the 3rd floor. Look at oversize as well as the regular book shelf areas.
- To get some background information, Wikipedia has a good entry on Fashion Illustrators with a list of notable illustrators.
- To find books, try searching the Library Catalog, found on the Library homepage. Use "fashion illustrators" and pull down "subject" from the left box. Press Search.
There are several books on the topic including both ebooks and print books.
- The ebook New Icons of Fashion Illustration has a table of contents with names of illustrators. Make sure you check the date limitation to keep within the requirements of your assignment.
The Research Guide on Fashion is also a good source for finding databases including among others:
- Vogue Archive, Women's Wear Daily Archive and Berg Fashion Library.
More Info / Source(s)
If you need further assistance, please Ask US!