Answered By: Reference Staff
Last Updated: Mar 12, 2020     Views: 790

Instructors often request that you use research from scholarly or academic journals.

Many articles in journals present in-depth, original research in a specific field of study. These articles have been reviewed by other scholars in the field for scholastic standards and validity.

  • Professional journals may also contain profession or industry-related news. 
  • Sometimes, these articles are called peer reviewed.

Scholarly articles differ from more popular articles available in magazines and newspapers.  If you are unsure whether a publication is popular or scholarly, refer to the link below:  Identifying Types of Journals.

To find scholarly articles:  

  • Try JEWL search, found on the Library home page.  It covers a variety of subjects. 
  • By JEWL, you can limit your results to peer-reviewed / scholarly journal articles. 


  • Walker Library subscribes to a large number of subject specific databases that contain scholarly journal articles.
    • For a complete list of databases by subject, use the Databases A-Z list. 

More Info / Source(s):


If you need further assistance, please Ask Us!

Ask Us!

Can't find the answer to your question? Send it to us!

Your Info

Please enter your MTSU email address.

Trouble accessing an online resource?

If possible, please upload a screenshot of your error message below. 

Fields marked with * are required.

Reporting Noise Complaints

If you need to report a noise complaint and chat is not online:

Call the Service Desk at 615-904-8533.